Peredes de Nava 1488-Toledo 1561
Pair of coats of arms
painted gilt wood, cm 40×18
Two coats of arms dating back to the first half of the 16th century and attributed to Alonso Berruguete (Peredes de Nava, 1488 – Toledo, 1561), one of the most representative artists of the Spanish Renaissance. Made of finely pierced wooden elements, gilded and silvered, these coats of arms are made with a refined hand carved intaglio. The central oval part is defined by spirals and coils resembling rolled up parchment and enriched with aristocratic weapons, honorary ornaments, such as graticulated helmets, beads and lambrequins.