Red spruce wood (soundbox) and sycamore (structure), with polychrome decoration.
This harp is a specimen of the famous “Egan Royal Portable”, a type of harp that was developed between 1812 and 1819 by John Egan, perhaps the most famous harp builder in Ireland. Egan worked in Dublin, initially in Dawson Street no. 25, then moving to number 30 in the same street and finally to Aungier Street, where his presence is documented in 1835.
Built to meet the requirements of practicality of aristocratic ladies, this type of harp, which is smaller than pedal harps and characterized by the typical Irish green paint and gilt decorations, was very diffused and appreciated until the middle of the Nineteenth century, contributing to the diffusion of harps also in the homes of the Irish middle classes.
Inscription: J EGAN/ 30, Dawson S.t Dublin/ Maker to His Majesty & Royal Family/ n° 2017.
Dublin, second decade of the 19th century.