Carved, sculpted and gilt wood, top in green Alpi marble
The elaborate rounded top in Alpine green marble with edges decorated by a ribbing in Siena yellow is supported by four zoomorphic legs, elegantly sculpted with scrolls, with ferine paws united by a crossed rounded crosspiece that culminates in a centerpiece of curling leaves. The underside of the table is decorated with refined carved bands.
As confirmed by an old label glued under the top, this item comes from the “Palace of H.R.H. the Duchess of Galliera”, where it had been assigned inventory number 739. It has later been exhibited at the famous Exhibition of Seventeenth-century Bolognese of 1935 – something that is also confirmed by another label – in which case it was presented as belonging to the collection of Marquis Giovanni Zacchia Rondini (p. XCVI).
In the Eighteenth century Bologna was a meeting place of different stylistic influences; the rigor characteristic of the nearby Tuscany were combined with touches of late Roman Baroque mediated by the transit through the Papal State.
Bologna, XVIII century